Mokan Riders Offroad Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Powder Coat Questions.

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Powder Coat Questions. Empty Powder Coat Questions. Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:52 am

Administrator

Administrator
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR

Ok guys I had a couple questions about powder coat. I have been thinking about trying it out so I could do some small parts on my car, bicycle, and any other piece of metal I can find around here lol.

I had a couple questions.

Is sandblasting a "must" before powder coat or is sanding or roughing up the surface adequate?

Are the electric "air-less" guns worth a crap so I dont have to run a compressor?

And last but not least, you only have to put it in the "oven" for less than 30 minutes?

I can get the electric gun for around 100 bucks and pick up a cheap electric stove on craigslist to bake the stuff on, I dont plan on doing bigger parts so it would last me a while but I was unsure about the metal prep and the electric guns.

2Powder Coat Questions. Empty Re: Powder Coat Questions. Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:06 pm

bryan

bryan

I'll leave this one open form Top1Banshee......He has experimented with powder coating from time to time.

http://www.myspace.com/bryanweirich

3Powder Coat Questions. Empty Re: Powder Coat Questions. Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:24 pm

top1banshee

top1banshee

Geoff I dont know anything about the elec guns You dont have to sandblast but if you want a nice finuish I would the metal needs to be very clean also I have had problems with th e powder sticking to painted products . I have the cheap harbor freight gun Geoff It doesnt take alot of air pressure at all to use it

Most powders You will use are gonna be 400 degrees for 10 mins at PMT (part metal temp)
which means if you put them in the oven you need to wait till its 400 degrees and then start timing
the more Items you have in oven the longer it will take to heat up ,and of corase if you just have a few it will warm up fast
I first started using a electric oven when I first started doing it It worked great for small items
but of corase I built my own oven Thats 5'x4'x28" with the burners and controls out of a electric oven

4Powder Coat Questions. Empty Re: Powder Coat Questions. Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:31 am

Administrator

Administrator
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR

Just what I was looking for Mike Very Happy Thanks Man.

I thought about sending you a PM with the questions because I remembered you were making a setup but I figured if I posted then everyone could get the answers Twisted Evil

I'm not 100% sure I want to try it yet as we all know how addicted I got to polishing aluminum lol, if your scared to ride your quad offroad because you dont want to scratch aluminum then your an addict lol. I would ride for 10 minutes and polish for 30 lol!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum