You are not connected. Please login or register

400EX Sparks Timing Advance Key

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 400EX Sparks Timing Advance Key on Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:51 pm

Administrator

ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
Hey guys I told you I would let you know how it goes, I had to work at the MX races today at knobby hill MX park outside st joe so I didnt get home till around 5 so I just got it done.

It took me about 45 minutes to do it and that was even tracking down the right tools and scraping gasket, I followed these instructions.

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?threadid=349499

This thing made such a big difference, I was surprised at how much difference it actually made, it starts easier, has better throttle response and will straight haul arse. I can pull a wheelie way easier now and it even made the exhaust sound a little deeper for some reason.

Best 30 bucks I have ever spent.

View user profile

2 Re: 400EX Sparks Timing Advance Key on Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:16 pm

bryan

Geoff, glad to hear you are back up and running stronger now too!

Had to help people move all day today so I am beat. Sitting at home drinking doubles now

Taking my street bike to HMAN tomorrow to get it running.

Really considering trading it for another dirt bike now though!

View user profile http://www.myspace.com/bryanweirich

3 Re: 400EX Sparks Timing Advance Key on Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:39 pm

Nice Geoff Im glad it Made a difference
cheers

View user profile

4 Re: 400EX Sparks Timing Advance Key on Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:50 pm

KUHL BEANS Twisted Evil

5 Re: 400EX Sparks Timing Advance Key on Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:12 am

I'm looking into getting one of these. I've heard good and bad things about them though.

Glad to hear you noticed a difference and like it.

6 Re: 400EX Sparks Timing Advance Key on Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:03 pm

Administrator

ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
badfish23 wrote:I'm looking into getting one of these. I've heard good and bad things about them though.

Glad to hear you noticed a difference and like it.

I have not read anything bad about one that was installed correctly, the things I have seen where people had complaints was that they were installed wrong and never actually advanced the timing because they did not hold the flywheel to the left while installing the flywheel bolt which by holding it to the left is actually what advances your timing.

Also if you have a modified engine with more than 11 to 1 compression then Sparks does not recommend it due to overheating issues but alot of the guys on that 400ex forum have done it anyway and just installed a pull type fan on their oil cooler or a bigger oil tank to offset the temp issues.

You are more than welcome to take mine for a spin to see how it works before you install one, I have also removed my choke and have exhaust and an aftermarket filter too. Tomorrow im going to install my 14 tooth sprocket too so it should have a ton of low end grunt.

View user profile

7 Re: 400EX Sparks Timing Advance Key on Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:02 pm

Well installed correctly would help with the proper function! ha

Maybe that is what I read and just misunderstood. I'm definitely interested in getting one. I too would like to remove my choke. Just not sure how difficult it is. I don't have the greatest experience messing with the timing and other tideous functions of a motor. Maybe you can give me some insight on that as well. It would be much appreciated. Very Happy

8 Re: 400EX Sparks Timing Advance Key on Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:49 pm

Administrator

ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
Removing the choke is actually very easy, you do have to rejet your pilot jet to a 42 pilot, I would be glad to help you do it sometime if you would like, I did all of my work on my quad so I am pretty familiar with the 400ex engine

View user profile

9 Re: 400EX Sparks Timing Advance Key on Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:29 pm

if you want a advance key my buddie has one I can see if he will sell it

View user profile

10 Re: 400EX Sparks Timing Advance Key on Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:40 pm

If he does Ill take it!

View user profile

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum