You are not connected. Please login or register

Wolf Pen Gap, Arkansas

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Wolf Pen Gap, Arkansas on Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:26 pm

A few friends and I went about 4 weeks ago to Wolf Pen Gap near Mena, Arkansas for an extended weekend trip. We were probably about a week or two early to really appreciate all the fall tree color changes, or so my wife said. The trails were extremely dusty, and it looked as if it hadn't rained in quite some time. Probably a good thing they had a burn ban in affect! Other than the dust, the trails were pretty fun.
The forest service had rated the trails as easy, more difficult, and most difficult. The easy trails were pretty much wide enough and smooth enough to drive a truck down. The more difficult would be no problem even for a first timer. A couple spots on the most difficult could challenge some. The trails are well marked, and there are maps at each of the 4 trailheads.
The trails are a little rocky in spots, so good ground clearance and skid plates will help. Trails are very well suited for 4x4 utilities or a side by side, as we saw a ton of the later. Running the trails with our sport quads probably kept things a bit more interesting as we had to be more cautious of protruding rocks, and no low gear made the steep descents a little more fun. But there was really nothing too crazy and we all had no problems. A few scratched up stock plastic skid plates and a cut tire on my wife’s Raptor about 10 feet from the end of the last trail on the last day were the only casualties.
The drive from Cameron, MO without pushing it took about 7.5 hours. We spent 2.5 days riding and rode about everything there. If you were in a smaller group, all experienced riders, and didn’t let the dust bother you I’d say it could all be ridden in a day. There are lots of Cabin rentals in the area, and many allow you to ride from the cabin to the trails. That is what we did. There is also primitive camping allowed in spots along the trails, as well as some campgrounds nearby.
It was a fun place to spend the weekend, and worked out well for us to meet a friend of mine coming from Dallas, TX. It is probably not worth the 8 hour trip if you plan to blast down all the trails in one day, but there are a couple other trail loops in the area if you wanted to check them out as well.

View user profile

2 Re: Wolf Pen Gap, Arkansas on Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:49 pm

Thanks so much for the info, it is always nice learning about new places to ride for a get away....is there a web site one could go to, if so, just put it up

View user profile

3 Re: Wolf Pen Gap, Arkansas on Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:13 am

seadog37

Thanks for the info. Will be planning vacation before long.

View user profile

4 Re: Wolf Pen Gap, Arkansas on Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:45 am

bryan

Sounds like a great place to ride and thanks for the information. I found it very informative. Not too bad of a drive even to leave out on a Friday morning and come back on Sunday at that rate either.

View user profile http://www.myspace.com/bryanweirich

5 Re: Wolf Pen Gap, Arkansas on Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:23 am

Never really found one good website, just several with a couple paragraphs discussing the trails. Here is a link to one that also has a link in it to the map. Google search wolf pen gap and you'll have plenty of hits for camping, cabins, and the trails.

http://www.ouachitaadventures.com/Trails/Wolfpen/wolfpen.html

View user profile

6 Re: Wolf Pen Gap, Arkansas on Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:53 pm

bryan

Hmmmm, only about 4 hours from the trailer in Oklahoma too!

View user profile http://www.myspace.com/bryanweirich

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum