Mokan Riders Offroad Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

You are not connected. Please login or register

hard to start polaris

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1hard to start polaris Empty hard to start polaris Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:57 pm

mudryder_68

mudryder_68

i have a 91 polaris 250 trail boss. i cant seem to get it to start with the electric starter. when you use full choke then hit the button turns over about three or for times before it hits once, at that turn the choke off or even half way it will keep trying to start but just doesnt quite start. at that time you can reach down and pull the starter rope once sumtimes twice while holding the throtle half to full it fires right up. the starter seems to be turning over fast enough but i dont know what the problem could be. i put a new plug in and also changed the air filter it helped some but starter still wont start it.

2hard to start polaris Empty Re: hard to start polaris Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:02 pm

Administrator

Administrator
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR

maybe too low of compression and the pull starter is giving it more of a boost? I had an old enduro with low compression, electric start would crank over till the battery was dead but the kick starter worked every time.

I would say that or possibly your pilot jet is plugged and it is not getting enough gas, maybe when you pull it the intake sucks in more air, which makes it get more fuel?

There could be a thousand things really but I would lean toward low compression or the teeth on the starter gear or the gear it contacts are too wore down.

3hard to start polaris Empty Re: hard to start polaris Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:34 pm

mudryder_68

mudryder_68

the starter is not skipping so i dont think that would be the case. i will try and clean the carb maybe i missed something. i will also see about doing a compression test. i have never really been very good at carbs. never could seem to adjust them right. thanks for the advice

4hard to start polaris Empty Re: hard to start polaris Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:05 am

bryan

bryan

Just a thought,
Perhaps you have some type of short in the starter that is causing it to partially ground itself out. If you have access to a "hot pot" tester, you should be able to hook it up and it will tell you right away if there is sometype of short in your electrical system.

http://www.myspace.com/bryanweirich

5hard to start polaris Empty Re: hard to start polaris Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:23 pm

mudryder_68

mudryder_68

i never heard of a hot pot tester what is it. i do have a maulty meter. it seems to be turning over fast enough though to start.

6hard to start polaris Empty Re: hard to start polaris Fri Aug 21, 2009 5:09 am

bryan

bryan

It is a unit that will actually test from point A to point B and determine if there is any type of short in the electrical wire. We have to use it during our UL testing for the electrical here at our shop. It actually shoots some rediculious voltage through the wire and will tell you if there is any type of ground short within the run. You can actually hear & see it jumping to ground and it will also appear on the meter.

http://www.myspace.com/bryanweirich

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum